Friday, June 17, 2005

It's Not the Cagefighters. It's the Fans

Humid Cedar's lovely and talented wife , who is a huge fan of Cagefighting, sent us this article a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say she was outraged. We were too until we read this:
City officials have pulled the plug on an "ultimate fighting" event and are threatening to ban the kicking and punching bouts altogether, saying they incite crowds and threaten public safety.

At which point we understood. You see there are two types of cagefighting fans; those who are in the MMA game and those who aren't.

Fans who actually practice some form of MMA understand the sport. They practice wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, boxing, and Mauy Thai. They know how hard the game actually is because they play it. They respect the fighers, they know the techniques, and they want nothing more than to see the top athletes in their sport put on a great show.

The fans who aren't in the MMA game are a totally different story. They are there for the blood!

Take Mrs HumidCedar for example. She seems so sweat and most of the time, but when Mrs. Ramireze-Science and I invited the HumidCedars over to our place to watched a recent Ultimate Fighting Championship things got totally out of hand!

As soon as the fights started Mrs. HumidCedar was jumping up and down on my couch, spilling 2003 Australian Sheraz everywhere, and screaming things like:
Whoooooo! Lets see some Blooooood! Whooooo!
Honestly, it was frightening.

When I said I hoped Randy Couture won his fight against Chuck Lidel, she pored an entire glass of red zinfandel over my head and shouted :
"Randy Couture is a punk ass chump!"

Then challenged me to a fight.

Now in any normal situation I would own Mrs. HumidCedar in a fight. I've got at least a 70 lbs weight advantage, a tight ground game, decent standup, and my takedowns are prety sharp. Mrs HumidCedar, on the other hand, doesn't train at all. Under normal circumstances it would be no contest, but you people didn't see the look in her eyes. The woman was crazed I tell you! Crazed! I feared for my life.

fortunately Chuck Lidel knocked Randy Couture out about two seconds after Mrs. HumidCedar issued her challenge. The excitement made her forget about me entirely. HumidCedar got her a nice glass of Merlot and she went back to jumping up and down on my couch screaming
"Whooooooooo! Chuck Rules! Chuuuuuuuuuuuuck Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuules!


So I know exactly how Boston feels and I don't blame them one bit. I still haven't gotten all the wine stains out of the carpet.

Fortunately we are all still friends.

I just wish I could stop flinching whenever Mrs HumidCedar gets anywhere near me with a glass of wine.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear Mrs Humid Cedar's response to this one... I always suspected she was a firebrand!... Notorious Mjt!

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home