Thursday, February 24, 2005

Fox News: Now With Pin-Ups

So I'm sitting on an exercises bike in the gym where I work and Fox News is doing a segment on this story.

Mr. Perfect-Hair news guy is interviewing the prosecutor of a 32 year old married female teacher who was caught having sex in her car with a 16 year old male student. It's all very serious and somber as the prosecutor explains that :
Yes, Mr. Perfect-Hair, A hot female teacher having sex with a male minor really is illegal even thought Van-Halen wrote a totally bitchen song about banging your English teacher.
The whole segment is very somber and then Fox News decided to suddenly put up a graphic of a ... wait for it ... a hot blond in a bikini straddling a motorcycle.

Mr Perfect Hair News guy and the prosecutor just keep right on talking about the case as I sit there wondering :
"Why I am listing to a story about statutory rape while staring at a hot blond in a bikini. Is this a picture of the alleged statutory rapist? Is it the only picture of the alleged statutory rapist that Fox News could find? Did the alleged statutory rapist have a part time job as an bikini model?"


A few seconds latter the hot blond in the bikini is replaced by the pockmarked and hairy face of the prosecutor. The switch is so jarring that I cry out in shock and fall off the exercise bike clutching my at eyes. When I pick myself up, Mr. Perfect-Hair news guy and the Prosecutor are still droning on about the hidden evils of "Hot For Teacher" and acting like the whole 'hot blond in bikini straddling motorcycle' thing never happened.

At no point is the hot blond straddling a motorcycle image ever explained.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently, the picture of the hot blonde on the motorcycle was a photo of one of the teachers they were discusssing. Pamela Rogers Turner, 27 years old, accused of having sex with 13 year old "star-athlete" student, back in her college days was named Miss Monday Nitro on a 1997 World Championship Wrestling television show. (This gets better all the time, doesn't it?) What surprises me, my friend, is that you were SURPRISED by these jarring so-called-journalistic high jinks. This is nothing new. Years and years ago, journalism was corrupted by the lure of sensationalism, and is now nothing more than sound-bite, catch-phrase, ratings-driven sludge, or politically-partisan, talking-head, bombastic, selectively-chosen rants. Do I sound bitter? Go back and look at the bikini picture and tell me what it has to do with informing me... Mjt!

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home